The Trip 2005

Official blog for a bicycling event conceived to help find a cure for Parkinson's disease
the-trip.blogspot.com

Friday, January 07, 2005

The Trip Mission Statement

A vehicular swap meet? No. The name of a Seussian cleaning machine? Nope. A cross country bicycle ride for charity?

Yes.

I have exhausted many ideas in naming this event, finally ending up on Wheel Deal 2005. I don't like it so much right now, but have already ordered 300 rubber wristbands to sell in order to support the cause.

How about a little detail, no?

THE HISTORY

What could be more fun than riding a bike? How about riding a bike 750 miles in ten days or less? In late September/early October 2005, I will be riding my bicycle from Colorado Springs, Colo. to Dallas, Texas in an effort to raise money for The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research.

For seventeen years, my father, Robert Allan Watts, lived with Parkinson's disease. It was a challenge he did not ask for; one he faced with great courage. I will always remember him as a father, as a fast-pitch softball pitcher, as a recreational bicycle rider, and as a man with the strongest faith I have ever seen.

Not once over the years did I hear him complain about his affliction or how it affected him. He was always happy and constantly finding ways to take the situation and turn it around for the benefit of others. His strength and determination were unmatched by anyone I had ever met, and his humility was unequalled. I am proud to be his son.

Robert Allan Watts passed away on February 19, 2002 of complications stemming from Parkinson's disease and Myotonic Dystrophy. He was 65.

For three years I have not known what to do with the passing of my father. I'm not sure losing a parent is something one can ever be prepared for, so since the time of his passing, a void has existed in my life. I have not known how to fill that void, if it is even fillable.

THE EPIPHANY

A year ago I was made to face the results of some excesses in my lifestyle. Suffice it to say the diagnosis of high blood pressure coupled with a lengthy panic attack woke me right up. The problem was most certainly my body chemistry, but I choose not to be treated with pills. I knew what the problem was - it was lifestyle-related. Todd likes his beer, his smokes and his ribaldry.

I purchased a bicycle (I had always been a keen cyclist), quit drinking, smoking, caffeine and dairy (I have since moderated all of these - it was a long winter) and began anew. The change in my emotional and physical health has been mind-boggling, and inspired me to take my newfound confidence and ability to the next level.

My children live in Texas and I thought what better adventure than to ride my bike from my door to theirs. I drive to visit them often, so I know the terrain like the back of my hand and have always been very comfortable with extreme physical exertion. My next thought was to incorporate a charitable event into the ride. I recently asked my father's family to donate money to a charitable cause instead of sending me Christmas gifts. They chose The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research.

THE TRIP 2005

The tour is 750 miles from door to door, and I will be riding alone with the aid of my Mom, who will be my shadow, meeting me each evening after a full-day's ride. My goal is to raise as much money as I can for The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research. 100% of all pledges will go to the foundation, and the operating cost of the trip will be covered by me alone as my donation.

Please pledge what you can, be it in a lump sum or by the mile. Some examples of pledges by the mile are:

750 miles x $.05/mile = $ 37.50
750 miles x $.10/mile = $ 75.00
750 miles x $.15/mile = $112.50
750 miles x $.20/mile = $150.00
750 miles x $.25/mile = $187.50

...and so on.

All pledges are 100% tax-deductible and should be by check or money order made out directly to The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research. No cash, please. Upon receipt of the donation, The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research will mail you a tax letter for tax purposes.

To lend your support to this worthwhile cause please provide the following information in an e-mail to thetrip05@gmail.com:

Name:
Address:
City:
State:
ZIP:
Phone:
E-mail:
Amount of pledge:
Lump sum ________
Per Mile ________

All information is strictly confidential and will not be shared (in any form) with any other parties except for the Michael J. Fox Foundation. During the ride I will post my daily progress on this blog, dedicated to The Trip '05. When my ride is complete I will contact all pledgers to share the results. At that time you can mail your check or money order - made out to The Michael J. Fox Foundation - directly to my P.O. Box (to be determined) and I will forward 100% of the donations to The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research. Pledges are being handled in this manner to ensure that all money donated goes to the intended recipient.

If you have any questions about the trip itself, please feel free to e-mail me or if questions about The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research, you can e-mail Amanda McDorman or call her at 212-509-0995 x204.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home