The Trip 2005

Official blog for a bicycling event conceived to help find a cure for Parkinson's disease
the-trip.blogspot.com

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Day 2: Fun with numbers

Hey, man - I'm sore! Another 77 miles today, leaving from Fowler and arriving safely in Lamar. On the way we saw Swink, Las Animas, La Junta and Hasty. That damn chili burger is still with me, but thanks to a 18 mph average, my 'wind' is no threat to anyone. That, and there's lots of cattle in this nape of the woods (neck of the way - Scotty, Dan), so I cover my tracks, so to speak. Also explains the extra mph in my average ;-)

Warmer morning still made for a slow start. What's killin' me are my achilles tendons. About 20 miles into today's ride I happened to glance down and sure enough, there were Trojan arrows protruding from my heels. Ouch. Chased by Trojans - uh-GAIN.

As the day wore on the riding got easier. Hats off to the CO DOT road crews, for two reasons. First off, all of the work they've done to repave U.S. 50 (this includes the shoulders!) - smooth as Nico or Shane on the grill on football Sundays. Secondly, for hiring absolute hotties for flag-persons. There was a two mile stretch of construction being covered by a hottie at one end and a hottie at the other. I was the recipient of a healthy smile and greeting at the beginning, and just when I thought hottie number two was ignoring me, she turns around, evidently conversing with hottie number one on the two-way, flashes a big smile and says "Have a nice day!" Now, this could have been mistaken for a simple greeting, but the devious look on her face made me think I had a hole in my shorts. That's right, tight lycra. Tights? No, the required uniform.

So, Lamar. Thriving metropolis on the plains of eastern Colorado. Closer to Kansas than Pueblo (please consult your maps), and a nice small-town atmosphere. Life moves slower, and it's refreshing. Stopped at the Wal-Mart for some t-shirts (forgot to pack some), razor blades (doh! forgot), and Vitamin B-complex (anyone at work see them on my desk?). The knees are hangin' in there, and I'm not sure this old boy will last all 750 miles, but he's sure as hell is going to try.

Tomorrow's goal, for those keeping score at home, will be Campo, Colorado, last bastion of Coloradoness before entering The Land That No One Wanted (thanks for the story, Bill Merlyn!). That's the Oklahoma Panhandle - 42.3 miles of vertical highway broken up by a large iron dinosaur in the middle. But that's a story for Saturday...

PS from the crew chief....while last night's accomodations in Fowler were not as elegant as the B&B in Germany 20 years ago Fowler has a small town charm of it's own- not the least of which was another motel guest from Germany who wished Todd a safe journey. Then there was the friendly owner of the-only-place-in-town-to-buy-a-postcard and the post mistress who actually counted back change from a $10 bill in the PROPER (do NOT call me old fashioned) way - coins FIRST and THEN the bills.

The second day on the road the Dude and his Driver were both more comfortable with the conditions so they leap frogged 5 to 10 miles at at time. While waiting for our rider to pass the check points the driver had time to learn how to operate a new camera, viedo, TV watching (give me a break!), e-mail checking (now that is good!) cell phone and read several short stories from a book by Wallace Stegner. All in all a very good day - mostly for sharing this adventure with the one and only Toddorado.

TOTAL MILES TRAVELLED: 153

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home