The Trip 2005

Official blog for a bicycling event conceived to help find a cure for Parkinson's disease
the-trip.blogspot.com

Friday, September 30, 2005

Day 3: Sensibility

The legs felt good and achilles tendons were somewhat less irritated this morning, thanks to the spa at the Cow Palace Inn. The main dining room and pool area seemed like an afterthought, and were likely outdoors before the atrium was built to protect it from the elements. Now, I didn't see the King and Queen Cow, but since I was in their house, I thought I'd try and find them to express what a lovely place they had. The suite was only a few dollars more than a regular room, so we had a view of...the atrium, where everyone ate and swam. Made a six pack of those yummy yam/chicken/black bean burritos for carb-power the previous night, however I am realizing that this is not the best way to go, to constantly burn carbs day in and day out. A body needs protein.

This was evident when my body's fuel gage went from full to 1/4 tank in the span of about two miles this morning. Little did I know that as well as being on the plains of Colorado, Lamar and today's destination, Springfield, Colo., while lower in altitude than Colorado Springs, still gains altitude during this leg of the journey. From 3,500 feet to 4,300 feet. I cried foul when hills, which typically have an upside and a downside, seemed to only have an upside and a level side. Yeeikes - not so good when you're learning about your own nutritional mortality.

After 30 miles (right at the windmill farm between Lamar and Springfield) it was also clear that Interstate 287 was not going to be as bike-friendly as I-50 was, with the broad, well-paved shoulders. It was smooth enough, but there are many more trucks on this portion of the journey, and the rumble strips which signify to sleeping drivers, "Get the hell off the shoulder, sleepyhead," were on the inside of the bike lane, making it necessary to ride nearest traffic.

Well, I'm bold and adventurous, but Indiana Jones was a fictional character. Me, I'm flesh and bone. I'm not going to risk my life to squeeze every last mile in. So, reassessing the situation, I realized I may have to curtail my mileage a bit to ensure that my children do not see me next on a morticians slab in litte teeny pieces.

So instead of blogging from Springfield tonight, you are reading these words as they were written from Dumas, Texas. A little ahead of schedule because of reality, and a sensible decision regarding safety. The distance from Colorado Springs to Dallas is 743 miles. My new estimate will be 500 miles in eight days, or about 60+ miles a day. It is difficult succumbing to the reality of one's limits, and humbling to admit it in public, but I won't lie to you people. I want to see you all again, and I will.

Tomorrow - Amarillo and beyond.

Mom's PS - Whew! the boy finally came to his senses - and very gracefully so I must say - he wants to be alive and I support that! The scenery today was tumble weed, a few fields of live stock, a field of windmills and more tumble weed dotting the wide open spaces of South Eastern Colorado. Still spotting the Rider every 5 miles or so - it's not often a person takes a 750 mile road trip 5 miles at a time.....Mom likes solitude so it suits just fine.

Thanks to the support group in Santa Cruz for cheering us on! Especially important is Todd's sister Stephanie - his biggest fan - who is holding down the home fort. We love you Stef and know you are with us every mile

More tomorrow......

TOTAL MILES TRAVELLED: 182

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home