The Trip 2005

Official blog for a bicycling event conceived to help find a cure for Parkinson's disease
the-trip.blogspot.com

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Day 5: Wind, thanks, and bad dreams


At the halfway point of The Trip (Amarillo), some things were certain. Texas is big. Texas is flat. Texas is hot.

Woke up at 5:45 a.m. to fill the gas tank next door at Denny's. I was helped by an unusually tall woman named Diane, who was also unusually nice. After perusing the menu, I ended up with The Heartland Scramble, which should be renamed The 'I Need A Nap After Eating This' Scramble. Reported back to the hotel room and was alseep before my head hit the pillow. Mom was more sensible and slept through the big breakfast excursion.

Thank God I like the hot. After a sunburn on my arms made it necessary to purchase more powerful (and unexpired) sunscreen, the heat was even more bearable. Taking off from just outside of Amarillo (limited-access highways through larger towns made it necessary), the wind was present from the first revolution of the wheels. Man, wind again. I'd rather be chased by Trojans shooting arrows at my heels.

Luckily, although the wind was gusting at what honestly felt like 20-25 mph, it was crossing me directly from the right. Anything is better than a headwind, even drinking sour milk or licking a 9-volt battery. The first 30 miles went as smoothly as they could - the road was mostly flat, but after mile 40 it became apparent that Mother Nature was once again not willing to cooperate with my plan. The wind shifted, average speed went down, and legs tired noticeably quicker.

After a little rest and picking up a few miles in the chase vehicle, I got back out to crank out some more miles, but quickly remembered what a headwind does to one's resolve - it is demoralizing, almost like pedaling backwards.

So, 56 miles today. I have realized that my wild boast of 100 miles, seven days straight was extremely disproportionate to my ability, even though I've been training. Sure, I'm 40, but I'm not sure I could do it at 20 (although I'm in better shape right now ;-)

I want to thank all of the truckers who have passed me from the beginning. For the courtesy of moving over a lane when you can afford it, for driving in the lane closest to me and giving me an artificial tailwind, and for honking in support of my two-wheeled endeavor. The more I think about it, riding on U.S. 287 is safer the more trucks there are as truckers are a courteous breed, they know how to drive big rigs, and they rarely, if ever, fall asleep at the wheel. I have been checking every 300-500 yards just to be sure no one's creeping up in the grasshopper lane (see previous post for grasshopper reference).

Tonight we're staying in Childress, a town which used to hold a special meaning for me, and I guess still retains some residual specialness. This was a rude awakening, ironically, because I was asleep. I had three dreams last night, none of which ended well, and were so...random that they kept a perfect night's sleep from happening. One of them involved Childress - eerily foreshadowing tonight's accomodations.

From here on out it will be difficult to forecast a destination each day as time is running short (must plan for a Wednesday arrival in The Big D), and there is a lack of towns with hotels between here and Denton. Each day will be a ride until I drop scenario, then a drive to the closest hotel. The bike is purring along, and the body feels good, just tired.

PS from the Pickup Crew Chief....Interesting to experience five days in a row of the same activity and to be aware of the differences of each day. We've got the what-to-eat-when routine under control and the average miles per hour a pretty consistent, miles between check points are comfortable and fun....it appears the mental preparation makes the most difference....it was another good day...

TOTAL DISTANCE TRAVELLED: 280 MILES

1 Comments:

  • At 12:38 PM, October 03, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Totally awesome, Todd. Not many can add this to their "claim to fame". Be safe, enjoy the ride and take care.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home