The Trip 2005

Official blog for a bicycling event conceived to help find a cure for Parkinson's disease
the-trip.blogspot.com

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Day 7: Safe, Sound, Successful

Day seven began like day six ended - with an ever-persistent southerly wind. Now, I never understood when weatherfolk forecast the weather and claim "a southerly wind will grace the plains tomorrow" exactly what it is they mean. Will wind be blowing FROM the south, or is it blowing TOWARD the south?

I now know the answer, and I don't like it.

Wind was blowing from the south again at about 15-18 mph, and sucked my waning energy away like getting a flat rear tire halfway between work and home with no spare tube. Hey, that sounds like a hoot.

For sanity's sake, the road outside of Decatur becomes somewhat 'iffy' as 287 turns into 380, and to top it off, there was some sort of unannounced construction being performed. U.S. 380 connects Decatur to Denton, about 28 miles away. I thought perhaps we'd get to Denton and I'd take 380 to 289, which is Preston Road, the Academy Boulevard (Colorado Springs) of Plano, Texas.

There are two things that the towns in north-central Texas do not believe in. Bike lanes/shoulders and self-serve car washes. The road to Plano went through Denton and on toward McKinney, which is out east. It was the only route I could find on a good map to get to Plano without trying not to be noticed riding illegally on I-35 E. So the final leg of the trip was short, windy and a little anti-climactic because of the need to pack the bike in the trunk through impassable terrain, construction and lack-o-shoulder.

The Bonneville (chase vehicle, carrier of the crew chief, a.k.a. Mom) still had some strain of atomic alien mud caked in the wheelwells from back on day one on the road between Colorado Springs and Pueblo, Colo. This stuff could hold tiles on the space shuttle it was so gooey. I've been to Plano many, many times and have had no luck in locating one of those (come on people, you know what I'm talking about) drive your car in, spray it, brush it, drive it out and dry it places. They do not exist in this reality. After asking the guy behind the counter at tonight's hotel of such a place, he sort of lifted an eyebrow and looked at me like I had just asked him to rob the IHOP next door armed with only a 2-quart Pyrex dish.

After a trip to the local full-serve car wash (just called 'car wash' here), most bug guts had been washed away, the outside was shiny and new, but the atomic alien mud still clung to the wheelwells as if for dear life. Right next door lies a Wal-Mart, and they sell lots of buckets and brushes and other stuff I probably didn't need but they looked neat and useful, so I bought them. An 18-pack of washcloths? Suuuure! A three-pack of Orbit gum? You bet! I'm that age now where kids ask me, "Hey mister, you got any gum?" I tell 'em to scram or I'll tell their mother they were letting the air out of tires in the parking lot.

Cleaned the bike tonight, sat in the hot tub here at the hotel and unwound after what has been a week (doesn't seem like it!). I'm so glad my mom was here to experience this with me. She knows me so well and knew when to be where at what time without even having to coordinate ahead of time. The trip would not have been remotely possible without her, and to think there was a chance I was going to go alone and camp along the way. Nothing against my camping or survival skills, but I've learned enough on this journey without having to worry about dispatching a bear or finding a safe place to sleep. Thank you mom, for keeping me honest without nagging or being overbearing. You were just right :-)

Accomplishments:

  • Back to back 70-mile days.
  • Learned my physical limits.
  • Will see my kids.
  • Raised money and awareness for Parkinson's Disease Research.
  • Spent lots of quality time with mom.
  • Made me closer to my family and friends.
  • Lost some weight.
  • Achieved a world-class farmer's tan.
  • Did not experience one flat tire.
  • Finally came to terms with my thinning hairline. Rebel Yell, baby.
  • Sang the entire Sinatra songbook in my head, The Coffee Song out loud while riding.
  • Earned points for staying in hotels owned by a new sponsor for work.
  • Learned how to launder clothes in a bathtub (wear them in layers, get wet, do calisthenics).
...and last of all but not least...

  • Earned the right to loaf my butt off this winter. I won't, but it feels good to be able to relax after so many months of planning.
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone when I get home. Thanks again for all of your support and even if you doubted me (which you should have - 750 miles in 8 days), thanks for still pushing me to go and to do my best.

PS from Mom....that's what Mom's are for ...and I am a very lucky one that my kids trust me enough to invite me along even at the risk of being told "I told you so" (750 miles in 8 days????....) but I have learned the most important thing is to be there, say little and do whatever it takes to support success . It has been an awesome trip! Thank you Todd!

TOTAL DISTANCE TRAVELLED: 327 MILES

7 Comments:

  • At 11:39 PM, October 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Todd, I am so proud of you! I can't wait to talk with you when you get home. L

     
  • At 6:39 AM, October 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Way to go Todd...see you soon!!!Have fun with the kids and be safe coming back....can't wait to see ya! Friends for life! cgb

     
  • At 8:20 AM, October 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awesome job, Todd. We all knew you could do it!

     
  • At 9:21 AM, October 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Toddarado! You are truly one of a kind! I believe God broke the mold after you. Glad to hear you are safe. Enjoy the time with your kids and mom. We are all so proud of you. See you soon. Love L.P.

     
  • At 2:01 PM, October 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Todd, you rock! Great job and good luck. Get back here safe. We all miss you in the kitchen. Also, I've pretty much gotten Shane hooked on Sinatra!
    -Nico

     
  • At 9:52 AM, October 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Haven't been here to say it, but...wow. **Applause**

     
  • At 5:11 PM, October 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you are a freaking rock star, as i am sure all those reading your blog would agree.

    i mean seriously. a ROCK STAR, in the style of frank of course...

    love you.

    mrs forsberg (yes, i took him back. can't kill true love with mere miles)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home