The Trip 2005

Official blog for a bicycling event conceived to help find a cure for Parkinson's disease
the-trip.blogspot.com

Thursday, August 11, 2005

An Ode to Preparation


Yesterday was a driving day. Driving days are more and more unpleasant for me, not due to gasoline prices, but to the energy I am not using and the stamina and muscle I am not building. I can almost feel it seeping out of me, like air from a flat tire.

SPEAKING of which...

On the way to work this morning, I was setting speed records at the splits intil I heard the sound no cyclist likes to hear.

Phss, phss, phss...

I was surprised that with the volume of all the 'phss-ing' I had not yet hit rim to ground. Pulling over to inspect the tire, I was secretly hoping my mind was playing the 'Flat Fakey' game with me. The look on my face must've been something to see, for I had been stung by what looked like a very small, sharp railroad tie - one inch long, a quarter inch wide and thick.

I had no patch kit (other bike has this), no tire levers (other bike), no cell phone, and no money (other bike, other bike). It took me 20-25 minutes, a few naughty words under my breath, and some dirty, sore hands to remind myself...

Get two sets of everything and flats won't be that much of a hassle.

Except bikes. As you can see, two bikes can be hazardous. Thank God I at least had the right size tube.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:30 AM, August 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Isn't it weird how regular activity becomes the normal thing for one's body, and then you react badly when you don't have it.

    Sorry about the puncture frustrations.

     
  • At 4:24 PM, August 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh I hate them flat tires! Maybe if they developed a tire that would be absolutely uninflattable.

    With silcone or some plastic in it a spongeyfied rubber..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home