The Trip 2005

Official blog for a bicycling event conceived to help find a cure for Parkinson's disease
the-trip.blogspot.com

Friday, October 14, 2005

The Wrap

For those of you who pledged, here are some helpful instructions for making your donation:

Mail A Check

Payable to "Michael J. Fox Foundation"

The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research
ATTN: AMANDA MCDORMAN/THE TRIP 2005
20 Exchange Place, 32nd Floor
New York, New York 10005

Be sure you include either on your check or in a note the address where you'd like the tax letter mailed. This donation is 100% tax deductible.

Donate Online

http://www.michaeljfox.org

There is a "DONATE" button on the main page, near the top right-hand side. Be sure in additional comments to specify ATTN: AMANDA MCDORMAN/THE TRIP 2005.

And now, the Wrap-Up post...



After being off the bike for a week now, it's difficult to fathom that the trip actually went off without a hitch. Evidently I saved every last ounce of energy I had to fall apart while relaxing.

Last Tuesday was my first day back at work after almost two weeks off, and it was a big day. An Inbox so crowded that Halloween was scared. Flu shot day, and I happened to be in the right place at the right time to be first in line. The nurse even found a red spot in my tattoo to stick the needle. "This is going to be a good day," I remember thinking. That same morning I also began taking the new dosage of blood pressure medication, which happened to be double the previous dosage. I was feeling pretty healthy.

The day turned out to be so busy and full of commotion that I forgot to eat lunch, which I've done before, I just make it up at dinner. After work I made my way up to the bar for a couple beers with some of the folks who supported me so much throughout the planning and actual undertaking of The Trip. I thought I was pacing myself, after all, it's not like I'm 21 and having my first beer.

It is a truly bizarre feeling to be sitting up, lucid and knowing what is going on around oneself, then seeing the room fade to white, then black, thinking to oneself, "Oh...no."

My eyes opened to lots of downward-pointing nose-holes, with the ceiling as a backdrop. "Hmm, something happened. Somehwere I lost track of time (and lots of other faculties)." I was out for anywhere from 45 seconds to 5 minutes, depending on who you asked and their degree of panic. The paramedics questioned me on history (when were you born?), civics (who is the current President of the United States?) and language (they asked me in English). Was I becoming a U.S. Citizen again? I thought I did that when I emerged from the womb?

After the curtain was lifted, I felt like a hundred bucks. Aside from feeling a little woozy for a couple of days, I was fine. The doc confirmed all of this and I'll be going in soon for some blood work.

I guess it goes to show you that one can be prepared for a massive test of one's own endurance, but often times nature sneaks up from behind and unloads a sucker punch. This one was a doozy, and no longer will I think of myself as invincible. Not that I did, but I certainly did not see any of a wide range of natural disasters, no matter how small, heading my way and clobbering me with the brute force it did.

All in all, 100% worth the effort and energy put into planning and achieving this end. Thank you all for your support throughout, and for your contribution to the cause. I will see you for the next trip in 2006!

1 Comments:

  • At 8:10 PM, October 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just a note of thanks from the Crew Chief to all of the Rider's wonderful friends for cheering him on, supporting "The Trip" AND for picking up the pieces....Life is a Village! Todd I am so proud of you! Thanks for sharing another fabulous life adventure with your Mom!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home